Current:Home > ContactFuture of Ohio’s education system is unclear after judge extends restraining order on K-12 overhaul -Capitatum
Future of Ohio’s education system is unclear after judge extends restraining order on K-12 overhaul
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 01:05:40
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The future of Ohio’s public education system hung in the balance Wednesday after a judge once again extended an order preventing the state from moving forward with a planned GOP-backed overhaul that a group of parents has challenged as unconstitutional.
It’s the latest move in a legal chess game that has Republican Gov. Mike DeWine’s office scrambling over how to ensure that 1.6 million schoolchildren still have a functioning educational system — even if it could mean disobeying that temporary restraining order, which Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge Karen Held Phipps extended until Oct. 20.
The conversion from the Ohio Department of Education, overseen by an independent state school board, to the Department of Education and Workforce, controlled by the governor, was part of a sweeping K-12 overhaul contained in the state’s budget back in July but was set to take effect Tuesday. A lawsuit filed just last month alleges that the new system Republican lawmakers created violates the constitution on multiple grounds.
Most notably, it would strip the constitutionally created and citizen-elected state board of most of its powers, which include setting academic standards and school curricula. This, the plaintiffs argue, would disregard the intention of a 1953 constitutional amendment that mandated the state board in order to give constituents more say in their children’s education than the governor.
The overhaul “is a prime example of the broader movement by extremist-controlled governors’ mansions and legislatures to deprive communities of meaningful representation,” Skye Perryman, president and chief executive of Democracy Forward, a national legal services nonprofit representing the plaintiffs, has said.
The original order, granted by Phipps on Sept. 21, blocked the state and DeWine from “enforcing, implementing, (and) complying with” the law. That includes “creating” the new education department and appointing a director to take on most of the state board’s responsibilities.
Despite the order, DeWine went forward on the advice of his attorneys with portions of the overhaul beginning Tuesday. The governor said the judge’s order only covers a part of the sweeping law that implements the overhaul.
The governor asserted in a news conference Monday that under the state budget, which is state law, the new department had to take effect at midnight Tuesday because the Ohio Department of Education dissolved at 11:59 p.m. Monday. He said no “affirmative action” on his part was necessary to “create” the department, since the budget he signed into law in July set the Oct. 3 effective date.
DeWine’s position is that no forward movement would result in the state being unable to write checks for schools, teachers and transportation workers or to approve state-funded private school vouchers, among other vital functions.
However, DeWine said he won’t be appointing a new director or transferring the state board’s powers to the department. The state’s current interim superintendent of public instruction, Chris Woolard, will lead the partial implementation.
“If someone wants to file a suit and say he can’t lead, have at it. All you’re doing is taking a leader away from the department that is there to help our kids,” DeWine said in the news conference.
The plaintiffs filed a motion Tuesday to clarify the temporary restraining order and stated that even if what DeWine is saying is true, his complying with the new department’s existence disobeys the court order.
If DeWine was truly concerned about funding for Ohio schools, he would have worked with the court to modify the order, instead of this “blatant violation,” Perryman said.
___
Samantha Hendrickson is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (41)
Related
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Earth is running a fever. And UN climate talks are focusing on the contagious effect on human health
- College football winners and losers for Week 14: Alabama, Texas on verge of playoff
- Shannen Doherty says cancer has spread to her bones: I don't want to die
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- How Prince William Is Putting His Own Royal Future Ahead of His Relationship With Prince Harry
- US Navy says it will cost $1.5M to salvage jet plane that crashed on Hawaii coral reef
- Column: Georgia already in rarified territory, with a shot to be the best ever
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- An Israeli raced to confront Palestinian attackers. He was then killed by an Israeli soldier
Ranking
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- France and Philippines eye a security pact to allow joint military combat exercises
- Colombian navy finds shipwrecked boat with over 750 kilos of drugs floating nearby
- One homeless person killed, another 4 wounded in Las Vegas shooting
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- 20 Kick-Ass Secrets About Charlie's Angels Revealed
- Winter weather in Pacific Northwest cuts power to thousands in Seattle, dumps snow on Cascades
- Michigan shuts out Iowa to win third consecutive Big Ten championship
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Florida State grinds out ACC championship game win with third-string QB under center
Shane MacGowan, longtime frontman of The Pogues, dies at 65, family says
Bullets scattered on Rhode Island roadway after wild pursuit of vehicle laden with ammo
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
'We want her to feel empowered': 6-year-old from New Jersey wows world with genius level IQ
Harris focuses on shaping a post-conflict Gaza during a diplomatic blitz in Dubai with Arab leaders
Jingle All the Way to Madewell’s Holiday Gift Sale with Deals Starting at Only $20